Water restrictions are a part of Denver to Boulder life, so what will become of your vegetable garden?
Arvada follows Denver Water watering restrictions, so I was happy to learn recently that watering restrictions do not apply to vegetable gardens. I learned that tidbit on ArvadaListens.com, btw. The same applies to flower gardens.
However, that ‘anytime’ veggie watering must be “by means of a hand-held hose or low-volume non-spray irrigation. These areas may be watered by spray irrigation on the assigned watering days only and not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.”
Got that? So if you water gardens by spray irrigation, you need to stick to the watering restrictions. But IF your gardens need it, you can supplement with hand-held hose watering.
A well-tended garden actually needs less water than a lawn anyway. Here’s my tips to reduce garden watering needs:
- Mulch, mulch, mulch! Allow NO BARE DIRT in your gardens! Mulch helps retain water and keeps down weeds.
- As much as possible, don’t water the paths between beds.
- Use that hand-held sprayer only as-needed, DON’T assume flowers and veggies need to be watered every day – they don’t!
- Check the moisture level before deciding you need to water. If you have mulched, you may be surprised how much moisture is actually in the soil, even after a scorcher of a day.
Read the article, Arvada Drought, from the City of Arvada, which explains details such as:
- Watering schedule (Single-family homes with even-numbered addresses water on Sunday and Thursday, odd-numbered homes water on Saturday and Wednesday, all others water Tuesday and Friday)
- Hours that lawn watering is prohibited (10 am to 6 pm)
- increased fees for water (Which apply starting TODAY, and will show up in your June bill)
Stay Calm and Garden On!!
See all homes for sale, register to receive daily updates, receive notice of price changes at: DreamHouseHunting.com
Arvada, Broomfield and Westminster are thriving towns between Denver and Boulder in Jefferson County, Colorado. There are many different neighborhood styles and homes prices. Call me to talk about the kind of neighborhood you dream of living in.
Read more about life in Arvada, Colorado.
I write posts on real estate issues and local events in the Denver metro area, especially those communities between Denver and Boulder, as a public service. My hope is to give people an idea of the ‘flavor’ of our community, in case they’re new or moving to the Denver area.
I am a residential real estate agent, happily helping folks buy a house or sell a house in the beautiful and friendly suburbs northwest of Denver. Read what past clients have said about me.
Get monthly updates about neighborhoods, eateries, things to do, and local real estate by signing up for my free newsletter.
Copyright © 2013 Joetta Fort, The DiGiorgio Group